Michael K. Goldsmith
Michael’s practice includes representing and advising recording artists, record producers, record companies, musicians, songwriters, publishers, talent managers, celebrities, executives and national and international institutions in connection with all aspects of the music business, touring, internet, literary, merchandising, radio, branding and personal services transactions. His expertise includes negotiation of record deals, joint ventures, distribution agreements, endorsements, touring agreements, product licensing and branding; and radio, internet and digital content.
Prior to joining the Firm in 1996, Michael was an entertainment attorney for 7 years in Los Angeles, first at Manatt, Phelps & Phillips and then at Myman, Abell, Fineman & Greenspan. Prior to practicing transactional entertainment law, Michael spent 3 years in Los Angeles as an entertainment litigator, at Shea & Gould and Oberstein, Doniger & Fetter.
After graduating from SUNY Binghamton with a BA in 1980, Michael worked in professional radio as a local disc jockey in Binghamton NY until 1983, when he decided to abandon radio for a career in the law, which he undertook to study in San Francisco, California. Michael graduated Magna Cum Laude from Hastings College of The Law in 1986, was awarded membership in the Thurston Society, and was an editor on COM/ENT, the entertainment law review at Hastings.
Michael has rendered legal services for clients in connection with
- Madonna’s record-breaking “360” Agreement with Live Nation
- Worldwide touring agreements with Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Sting, Usher and others
- Superstar recording agreement renegotiations with Madonna, Shakira, Luis Miguel and others
- branding and licensing agreements
- senior executive employment agreements, consulting agreements and joint ventures
- SUNY Binghamton, Harpur College (B.A., 1980)
- Hastings College of the Law (J.D., Magna Cum Laude, 1986)